Saturday, September 21, 2013

My Disney College Program



A year ago today I got my acceptance letter for the Disney College Program. At the time, I had an idea of what I was getting myself into: I knew I was going to work long hours, learn to become self sufficient, meet people from many different walks of life, and make a lot of memories. Beyond that, I wasn’t sure what the program had in store for me.

What I got was so much more than I expected.

I saw a more confident side of myself, I made the Magic Kingdom my home, and I met some of the best people (friends, guests, and coworkers alike) that I will ever have the pleasure of meeting. I worked hard and played even harder. I became unafraid of approaching complete strangers, I learned my limits, and learned to cope with homesickness. I fell in love with the music of Main Street, went inside the Cinderella Castle Suite, became a voluntEAR, and was okay with only getting five hours of sleep every night. I reminded little girls of the princess inside of them, I saw Tinkerbell fly almost every night, I sang along to the Wishes exit music, and I even danced during a parade or two. But ultimately, I became a little more comfortable in my own skin, I learned to take pride in a job that others disparage, I made a whole lot of magic, and most importantly, I fulfilled an enormous dream of mine.

as an opportunity to show people that there is still magic in the world. I took a lot of pride in putting on a costume and being able to call myself a cast member because there was so much gratification in seeing a guest’s face light up because of something I did. Walt Disney once said, “It takes people to make the dream a reality.” I am so grateful for this invaluable experience and I am so proud to have been a part of making his dream a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment